Dean: Mr. Edward Chijioke
He was born and brought up in a nuclear family in Ugwulangwu, Ohaozara Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, Nigeria. The school days offered him a lot to learn. Subjects like English, Literature and CRK were of special interest to him.
He attended Ugwulangwu Central School and Ugwulangwu Secondary School respectively. After his secondary school, he attended Eha-Amufu College of Education where he read English Double Major. Upon graduation from the college, he took up a teaching appointment. It was a decision that changed the entire course of his life. Through the profession, he was able to explore life in its varied forms. In a sense, teaching the English Language has proved to be a catalyst in the process of change which completely transformed him.
In the year 2000, he gained admission in UNN for his first degree programme in the Department of English where he studied English. After graduation, he taught the English Language in some secondary schools. In 2009, he enrolled for his Master Degree programme in the same department. He studied English as a second Language (ESL). In 2012, he enrolled for his PhD studies in the same department where he major in the aspect of English which is the pragmatics. The course is still running presently.
He joined the Institute of Ecumenical Education, Thinkers Corner Enugu in the year 2013 and was appointed GSE Coordinator in the year 2017. However, he has been the Dean; School of languages of the Institute from 2017 to date.
PHILOSOPHY OF SCHOOL OF LANGUAGES
Language is studied as a means of communicating ideas and disseminating learning as well as providing for a total growth and development of the child. The student teacher should not only be a professional but all so a specialist who will be pedagogically equipped with adequate skills and completeness.
Therefore, the philosophy of the programme is aimed at producing an articulate, dynamic, innovation and well-motivated teacher who will be well-equipped to teach languages in the Junior Secondary School level of the Basic Education System.
Objectives of School of Languages
The objectives of NCE English programme are to:
- Develop the four languages skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Make students to become confident and competent in the use of spoken and writing language for various purposes.
- Equip students to teach English effectively at the junior secondary school level.
- Prepare students for further studies in the subject.
- Motivate the students to apply the various language skills he has learnt to further promote the development of languages through creative writing, criticism, appreciation, socio-cultural activities, film making, song writing etc.
Department under the School of Languages
The departments that are under the school of languages are:
- The English language department
- The Igbo Language department
The course combinations under the school of language are:
- Igbo / social studies
- English / Political Science
- CRS/ English
- CRS / Igbo
- English / Igbo
- English / Social Studies
- English /computer
- Economics / English
- Economics / Igbo
- Ecumenism/ English
Click below to read the requirements for application